February 25, 2014

Recipe: Cremat for Carnival!


So, Cremat is a traditional Catalan fisherman's drink, and it is completely amazing, but I honestly don't know if it is drunk during Catalan Carnival festivals there are (I don't even know what festivals they hold leading up to Lent. No doubt Mr. Newton will inform me of the proper traditions, as he is the one who introduced me, rather recklessly, to Cremat.)

Guys, this is a great cocktail. It is for a party, because it really cannot be made in small doses. And it is perfect for the dead of winter. And this year, my word, has it ever been the dead of winter. I think the only thing that could get me revved up for a feast like Carnival is flaming coffee-infused hard liquor. I mean: this cocktail is lit on fire. I don't know how else to sell it to you.


CREMAT
Serves 8-10

750ml Rum (nothing fancy or aged or artisan, but not cheap sugary stuff. A solid, unflavored rum.
1 cup brandy
1/4 cup sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
peel of 1 lemon or 1 small orange, cut into thick strips
1 cup strong brewed coffee

Pour the rum and brandy into a heat resistant earthenware pot, or an earthenware or cast iron dutch oven. Add sugar, cinnamon sticks, and citrus peel. Stir till sugar dissolves. Heat on low on your stovetop till it begins to steam. 

Carefully bring the pot outside. Using a long match, or one of those long lighter thingys, set the rum ON FIRE!!! Let it burn for 10 minutes, (stand out there in the cold with it, you wimps!).  After 10 minutes, extinguish the fire by pouring the black coffee over it.

Serve in warm mugs (not cocktail glasses, which will crack with the heat), with a twist of lemon or orange peel.




No comments:

Post a Comment