September 09, 2013

Making Beds




So, a few days ago I turned thirty.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time. This year has been harder than I could have imagined - a time of incredible growth and trial as well as joy and richness and blessings, and I am simply incredibly grateful.

It's been rough in pretty stupid ways, too: like, how is it that, at almost 30, I still would go weeks without making my bed? And my laundry! Clothes magically move from the clean hamper to the dirty one, without ever stepping foot in the dresser where they belong. The only reason why I cleaned the bathroom this month was because Stearns was moving in, and I was embarrassed at the state of the tub. The thing is, this sort of laziness/busyness is also incredibly draining. It's not pleasant to step into a  dirty bathtub. Or to sleep in a messy room. And even ignoring those things, it's pretty damn uncomfortable to sleep on the one-third of a bed that is not piled with books and papers.


A few years ago, Myrna told me about a homily she heard one Easter-tide. The priest discussed how Jesus folded his shroud in the corner of the tomb. The priest dwelled on these folded sheets; he relished this distinctly human act of putting the world into order by taking a moment to put your own things in order. I mean, really! Jesus had just risen from the dead! Destroyed death! He was preparing to reveal his Risen self to his mourning, stunned disciples! And he had time to make his bed. Make the bed!

So, I'm thirty, and I'm pretty terrible at an awful lot of basic things. But I am going to make my bed. And as I draw up the sheets and fluff the pillows (all of what, 15 seconds), I'll turn this measured act into a simple morning prayer: Dear Lord, make me more like you.

5 comments:

  1. Margaret Perry. This was lovely. I am so glad to have met you this year- you are a bright spot in my little social media world. Happiest of birthdays to you and many blessings in the upcoming year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! Heather.vonstjames(at)gmail.com Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to tell you that you inspired me to make my bed for a few days. I felt so accomplished. Then I failed again. I shall endeavor to continue though! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. I think that being an adult sneaks up on us. I am constantly in a state of "Woah! I have two kids, and a house, and a husband! When did that happen? And when am I supposed to feel like this is normal? When does the adult-part happen?" Turns out I have to make it happen. And that means doing the dishes. Boo. Also, turns out much to my disappointment, resenting the dishes (bedmaking, meal planning, floor cleaning etc) doesn't make the activities magically happen all by themselves... I had always taken the attitude of: time to put my big girl panties on, and grow up. I guess... But bringing faith into the discussion makes it a much more beautiful and thoughtful thought. Thanks for your eloquence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so true. I'm 35 and better at making my bed than I was in my 20's. it's just like an anti-depressant sometimes. You are my only regular blog that I read, and I have loved you since I found you through little lamb books years ago. I find your religious and political commentary informative and comforting and your social commentary delightful. Thank you for being a window out of my own world and may your next decade be blessed.

    ReplyDelete