March 07, 2013

Snowquestered Clippings


I wrote a really crabby post yesterday about the snowquester and the dashing of all our hopes and dreams of snow days. I had the good sense not to post it. It was pretty self-indulgent. Today, no doubt, will be better. I started it with chili and eggs, and am going to have an invigorating ride to work on Carrot's scooter, and it's going to be a full day and we're going to get a lot done. Then, tonight: beer and bridesmaid dress fittings with Myrna. What could be better, I ask you?  (Yes. A snow day could be better. I know. I'm trying not to be crabby, darlings.) This photo, by the way, is of the last bad snow storm -- two years ago!

Besides the snowquester that wasn't, the biggest news yesterday was Sen. Rand Paul's filibuster about drone strikes, especially of Americans on American soil. Conor Friederdorf of The Atlantic has a good "cliff notes" of Paul's 13 hour speech on the Senate floor:
When I asked the President, can you kill an American on American soil, it should have been an easy answer. It's an easy question. It should have been a resounding and unequivocal, 'no.' The President's response? He hasn't killed anyone yet. We're supposed to be comforted by that. The President says, I haven't killed anyone yet. He goes on to say, and I have no intention of killing Americans. But I might.

"Is that enough?

"Are we satisfied by that?

"Are we so complacent with our rights that we would allow a President to say he might kill Americans?"
It is completely unfathomable to me that the Left, which (rightly) decries the Death Penalty -- that is putting to death a convicted felon after due process and trial -- isn't more upset by this monstrous evasiveness on the part of the President.  It is completely unfathomable to me that this isn't bigger news, and that the entire country isn't upset by this. Also check out Tim Carney's followup.  (The Atlantic, The Examiner)

Pope Benedict's sartorial legacy:
After this, his sartorial choices coaxed the Church out of a 1970s time warp. My favourite item from his wardrobe is a short cape known as a mozzetta, the winter version of which is fur-lined, ermine-trimmed and made of crimson silk. Equally glamorous is the papal pallium, a thick band that encircles the neck with pendants at the end, which is traditionally made of white wool from sheep raised by trappist monks. Papal rings, diamond, sapphire and ruby pectoral crosses, the all-important golden mitres (with more jewels): he was a truly bling pope. A young priest told me a story about when, before celebrating mass at St Peter's, he had the honour of preparing his vestments in the presence of His Holiness. Pope Benedict came down to the sacristy in a lift, as usual, and had three sets of vestments and mitres set out to choose from. He went straight for the most elaborate. This love of gothic vestments was about more than basic vanity; beauty and dignity reflect the splendour and mystery of liturgy. To Benedict this is God-focused rather than community-centred, as was favoured by the 1968 generation.
Really neat profile of Charlie Chaplain qua photographer/cinematographer from VSCO.

A bright yellow, patterned upright carry on suitcase? Why not? (JC Penny)

ShopIkon released a San Francisco app, woot! woot! I love their NYC app, and have the London app installed in anticipation of a someday trip back. (ShopIkon)

If you need a playlist to get you through the doldrums, check out Mr. Newton's disco playlist "House of Cranford" made just for Myrna and me. Dim All the Lights is so brilliant.

Yesterday was Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Birthday, and so I present to you this gem of British comedy.

Yesterday, as the minutes were dragging dragging dragging at the shop, suddenly a happy little tune came on the radio, and I was whistling (ok, not, because I can't whistle), and cheerful again. Why, you ask? Because I have been wondering my entire life what the theme song for Season 1 of A Bit of Fry and Laurie is, and friends: this is what it is. LOVE. (It came on again this morning. So glad.)

Interview of A. S. Byatt: "I think the names of colors are at the edge between where language fails and where it’s at its most powerful." (The Paris Review)

So, Parks and Recreation is obviously the best show on Television right now, and the wedding episode was just so so so perfect that I was grinning all day after watching it. Share the love, friends. Specifically, Leslie Knope's best quotes about love. #5 still makes me laugh out loud every time.

Lastly: thanks so much for all your comments about the Essential Starter Cookbook Library! We loved your suggestions. Myrna's registry exploded, and I am definitely adding a few things to my own wish list. Keep the suggestions coming! (This is a fun series...leave suggestions for other Starter Library posts in the comments.)

No comments:

Post a Comment