March 27, 2013

Pieces of Silver

Today is "Spy Wednesday" -- called so, because every year the reading is indeed about Judas' arrangements with the Chief Priests to betray Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. As I was reading today's Gospel passage, I was reminded of one of my favorite Simon and Garfunkel songs, "Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M."

For twenty-five dollars and pieces of silver
I held up and robbed a hard liquor store.

In "Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M." (my favorite on the album), a man sings to his sleeping love, knowing full well that when she wakes he'll be gone -- he needs to run away because he is a criminal. The "pieces of silver" is, of course, an allusion to Judas' price for betraying Christ. (And I assume the title, "Wednesday Morning" is deliberate, as well.) I love the connection between petty theft and Judas' grave, world-changing betrayal. The lover in this song betrays a person (the beloved) for what? $25 and pieces of silver. Isn't every sin a betrayal of Christ. Every sin is Judas's kiss. And, if we take a moment to consider the cost, we've betrayed ourselves and those we love as well: and for what?



(For two Jewish boys from New York, Simon and Garfunkel have an awful lot of Christian imagery in their music - their first album, Wednesday Morning, 3AM, especially.)

2 comments:

  1. American Tune. . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8U9bzT968k

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought that they had huge amounts of Christian imagery in their albums as well, that's one of the things I love about them.

    ReplyDelete