March 12, 2013

Conclave Roundup

Everyone is talking about the Conclave (which started half an hour ago). Mostly, I skip the major news outlets, but still my facebook feed (of mostly Catholic people) is filled with all kinds-of-crazy. And to be fair, all kinds of awesome. I've rounded up my favorites for your benefit and edification:

1) I do mean everyone. The PEEPs facebook page released this photo of a Peep Conclave. I'm not sure I want to admit how much I love this. I really love this. A LOT.

2) Simcha Fisher, always on the cutting edge of news, shares some of the choicest scandals surrounding the conclave: FLASH: As soon as Benedict XIV settled into his helicopter and the pilot turned off the "no smoking" sign, he burned a photo of Ashton Kutcher. Just because. (NCR)

3) The Conclave Chimney has it's own twitter feed. (HT: Sidecar)

4) From Focus: a infographic about how the Conclave works. Also, if you want to learn when there's white smoke by text message, sign up here. (Unfortunately the text message doesn't come with a built in church-bell sound.)

5) My friend Josh Bowman's March Conclave Bracket. (Catholic Vote)

6) The Pope App, which is actually produced by Vatican News, and is actually really awesome.

7) There's still time to Adopt a Cardinal. A randomizer assigns you one of the 116 (?) Cardinals eligible for voting, and you pray for them. One retired Cardinal said, when he heard about it: "Gosh, I hope you're praying for all of us!" which I thought was adorable.  My Cardinal is Jorge Mario Bergoglio, SJ, the Archbishop of Buenos Aires, the only Jesuit eligible to vote, and, I am told, a very saintly man. So I'm off the hook, prayerwise. (Kidding!)

8) Is there a Pope? (also via Sidecar)

9) For real news, check out Catholic World Report, and (when he's not editorializing or using too many commas), Whispers in the Loggia.

Lastly, please do pray for the Conclave, and the Cardinals, and for our future Pope. I post all these silly things because, of course, I find a lot of joy in the Church, and given how hard times are right now, humor seems the best answer. Humor -- and prayer:

Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Thy faithful and enkindle in them the fire of Thy love.

V. Send forth Thy Spirit and they shall be created.
R. And Thou shalt renew the face of the earth.

Let us pray. O God, Who didst instruct the hearts of the faithful by the light of the Holy Spirit, grant us in the same Spirit to be truly wise, and ever to rejoice in His consolation. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

O Lord, with suppliant humility we entreat Thee, that in Thy boundless mercy Thou wouldst grant the most Holy Roman Church a Pontiff, who, by his zeal for us, may be pleasing to Thee, and by his good government may ever be honored by Thy people for the glory of Thy Name. Through our Lord, Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, one God, forever and ever. Amen.



1 comment:

  1. Hah! Your "adopted" Cardinal is now our Pope. Good job!

    ReplyDelete