January 25, 2013

The Conversion of Paul and the Fight for Life



Today is the Feast of the Conversion of St. Paul. It is also the day when hundreds of thousands of people descend on the National Mall to march, once again, for an end to Abortion. 39 years of marching. 40 years of Roe vs. Wade. 55 million children killed.

55 million.

55 million.

I've said that phrase so many times this week. Thought it again and again and again and again, that it rolls of the tongue as easily as a prayer. But, just like a prayer, it has not sunk in. How can I begin to fathom a number that huge. And what's more: it's not a number: its individual souls, every single one of them known and loved by God. What guilt our generation carries; where is the hope in the face of such a number.

But when I think of the Conversion of Paul, I do take hope, and let it serve as my own witness. He too was a murderer: killing Stephen, persecuting all those who confessed Christ. And to him, Christ was revealed, and his heart was changed forever. The words of Ananias, which Paul repeats to the Jews of Jerusalem, struck me this morning:
‘Saul, my brother, regain your sight.’ And at that very moment I regained my sight and saw him. Then he said, ‘The God of our ancestors designated you to know his will, to see the Righteous One, and to hear the sound of his voice; for you will be his witness before all to what you have seen and heard. Now, why delay? Get up and have yourself baptized and your sins washed away, calling upon his name.’
Now, why delay? So begins our daily conversion to see Christ, do his will, and love with all our might. So begins hope. So begins life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment