December 06, 2012

Jazz Love: Dave Brubeck, Rest in Peace



I never got to see Brubeck live. I've tried every year, but, a brilliant performer to the last, his shows at Blues Alley always sold out. The Times obituary is pretty comprehensive. There's a good round up of links and backstories about Brubeck's conversion to Catholicism at Catholic World Report (it's editors being enthusiastic lovers of Jazz). And Fr. Michael Sherwin, OP, has a great article about his sacred music in America. And Mr. Newton offers up a few reflections, as well. I'm sure more marvelous stories will be published in the next few days, and I can't wait to read more about this incredible man (and one of my very favorite musicians.)

Searching for a photo, I noticed in every one he is just smiling so wide, so full of joy. I love that!

My favorite albums, besides the classic Time Out is his series of live recordings from the College of the Pacific (Vol 1 & 2). But, because it is one of my favorite songs, here is a 1959 live recording of The Dave Brubeck Quartet playing These Foolish Things, with Paul Desmond at the alto-sax.

No comments:

Post a Comment