August 01, 2012

Buttered Noodles, or The Meals of a Food Professional

Light spring pasta before the BBQ.

Last night, I got home about 8:15, put on a pot of pasta, opened a beer, and sat down for the first time in nine hours. After ten minutes, I stood up again, buttered the pasta, and sat down to the first meal I've cooked for myself in two and a half weeks. And then I went to bed. And woke up ten hours later still pretty exhausted.

What have I been doing with myself, you ask?  A month ago I quit my quiet little desk job, and, since I returned from California, I've become a full-time manager of an awesome wine bar in Alexandria, VA.

I've never been so tired in all my life. I haven't read a book in so long I think I maybe have forgotten how to read. I certainly haven't made myself a decent dinner (any protein I've gotten is thanks to Miss Myrna). And don't even bother asking me about my jams, my writing, my photography, my keeping in touch with anyone including my parents. But for all that: I love this new life. I'm exhausted and I'm thrilled.

And each week is better than the last, too.  Saturday was the first day I really felt like a manager, smoothly supporting our busy server staff -- and it was a ten hour day! I'm building endurance (yesterday my feet didn't want to kill me, for the first time ever), and getting into the rhythm of the days. I'm slowly getting back to some hobbies, back to the blog, back to reading and jamming.

Oddly, given that I'm working in food with a relatively seasonal menu, I feel very separated from the seasons. I've had my first peach and my first tomato of the season this week, though they've been at the markets for the better part of a month.  And, like I said, I'm not really eating anything worthwhile. But all those things will sort themselves out.

In the meantime, come pay us a visit. You'll find a very happy Maggie.


3 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Glad to hear you love your new job. I'll have to stop by next time I make it to the DC area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool, Maggie! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete