July 13, 2012

Clippings: Vacation is for Spoiling Adulthood



I feel a bit like Calvin this week. One of the best things about vacationing at home is that it really does entirely break the cycle of work work work, but still instantly feels like vacation. I have gotten a lot done, admittedly. And I'm busy today finishing jams for the Pop-Up-Shop tomorrow (what? you haven't heard?). But there has been a lot of relaxation and peace, too! And watching the sun float through the sky, and trying to count the constellations visible from my bedroom window, and introducing toddlers to cats, and driving with the windows down. 


I like to think that Tamar Alder and I would be best friends. Case in point: "A recipe is not always the place to begin." (Gilt Taste)

This is one of the easiest things I have ever made, and so incredibly delicious. I'm not sure why I even bother with jam after this. (New York Times)

Kim France really can shop anywhere. (Girls of a Certain Age)

Ok. I'll go here with you.  (Vanessa Jackman)

You know I'm not much of a fan of installation art. Especially when it uses trash.  But this is certifiably cool.  (This is Colossal via Liz)

Man Makes Hats. (Three White Leopards)

Anne makes a jam inspired by her mother. (Renidemus)

Marion Cunningham, one of the greatest cookbook authors ever, passed away on Monday. (And we honored her without knowing it that evening, when I made for the first time ever, pancakes.) Seriously, though: her The Breakfast Book is really the only breakfast cookbook you will ever need. And us Perry's really know breakfast cookbooks, so you can trust me on this.

If you live in DC and you love Farmer's Markets, come out and help support and celebrate the best network of farmer's markets in the DC/VA/MD area: Fresh Farm Markets! They are celebrating their 15th anniversary this Saturday at Dupont Circle. Click here for more info.

And speaking of Farmer's Markets: this is a great article on things to do and not to do.  #4 is probably the reason I love markets. Some of these things I never thought about before, but as so true. (Huffington Post)

Colors. Impossible ones in fiction (Maud Newton via Miss Hale) and Blue in Homer (Radiolab via Mr. and Mrs. Tom Jones).

The Fortnight for Freedom ended last week, but it is still fresh on my mind.  Read Mr. Newton's excellent analysis. (Blog of the Courtier)

Hey, my talented baking friends. Don't you want to make me this?  I thought so! (At Home At Home)

A more Southern California / Palm Springs aesthetic than I am used to up here, but man I love all these images. (Yeah Rentals!)

1 comment:

  1. OMG LOVE that colors from fiction link! wild :) (do you recall the seventh color in the rainbow in MacDonald's "The Golden Key"?)

    thanks for the link-up, too. I was totally thinking of you as I jammed, too! You inspire me to preserve fruit :)

    ReplyDelete