June 04, 2012

New Music: Kin by Mary Karr and Rodney Crowell

My friend Mo recently introduced me to the poet Mary Karr, and I am a bit obsessed. Then, much to my surprise and joy, I discovered Ms. Karr has teamed up with roots musician Rodney Crowell on a new album featuring, among others, Kris Kristofferson, Roseanne Cash, Norah Jones, and Vince Gill. It comes out tomorrow, but you can listen to it in its entirety on FolkAlley.com The second to the last song, "Long Time Girl Gone By" is just sublime. I think it'll be on repeat all summer long.

You can download the album, starting tomorrow, here, or pre-order the CD.

As a side note, I really don't know what to call this kind of music. It's the style of classic country of the Johnny Cash variety (with sometimes more blues/rock driven rhythms), but no country station would be caught dead playing music this good. It's raw and rough and its accompanying drink of choice is a glass of whiskey, straight. I call it Roots, because it's not decidedly folk or blues or bluegrass or country or folk rock or country rock or Americana. Help me oh music gurus.



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:16 PM

    I think KIN falls under the category of "Damn Good". Why is it that everyone is hell bent on putting stellar pegs in square holes? This is the kind of thinking that will kill radio. Perhaps if we keep supporting the independent labels….(one can only hope). OK, I’m off my soapbox and have placed myself on time out.

    ReplyDelete