June 01, 2012

Clippings: Still Grouchy about Gatsby



I've been driving to work for a change, and exploring different routes. Yesterday, a beautiful blue blue morning, I drove down Independence Ave. around the Mall, and was just struck by how beautiful our National Mall is: lush, green, rolling, charming. I took the photo above at a stoplight so you all can share the moment.  Have a lovely lovely weekend!

The Summer issue of the Dominicana, a journal entirely produced by the Dominican Student Brothers here in Washington, was just released. And with the release came these three great essays:
Nature's Wasted BeautyPutting Last Things First, and De Gustibus. (Dominicana Blog)

Decay can be beautiful. (Hungry Ghost)

The best thing, to my mind, about the blog Food 52, is their photographic slide-shows of every step of the process. Today, they've outdone themselves: How to Make French Macarons. (Food 52)

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do. (Standing on My Head)

A perfect early summer salad. (La Buena Vida)

This is cool. (Design*Sponge)

I complained last week about the Baz Luhrman trailer for The Great Gatsby. It still shocks me--it doesn't look like anything in the book, and Fitzgerald is so careful about his descriptions. I still remember exact phrases from his short stories, describing the curl of an eyelash, for example, that bring up a distinct and full visual memory every time I think about it. What's worse is the look is so easy and accessible. It's a well known era, an accessible sense of glamour. ANYWAY, I stumbled across the trailer for another film adaptation of a novelThe Road by Jack Kerouac. I don't really see how you can adapt a novel that is really more about the text than about the plot, but this trailer looks and feels like the novel. Also, The Paris Review discovered a clip of a 1926 film adaptation of The Great Gatsby that Fitzgerald himself wrote the script for.

I kind of love the idea of a bluegrass themed As You Like It. (WSJ)

A truly adorable photo of the Queen. And a bad-ass one, too. (Ben Pentreath and ISI)

My dream restaurant. Oh my goodness those windows! (Remodelista)

Make good art. (Buzzfeed)

No comments:

Post a Comment