June 15, 2012

Clippings: All Greyhound Stations Look the Same

I am writing this on a greyhound bus, on my phone, so sorry for any typos and broken links; I'll fix them later. Off to DE for a wedding. Woohoo!

Is $30 too much for an edition of Macbeth: Not when it's this lovely. (Washington Post)

You may as well call me Queen Margaret: because I make this face all the time. (Go Fug Yourself)

This dress is only $6.99 ...per month for 6 months.  (via the incredible comment thread on this contest on Girls of a Certain Age)

Also from that thread: a great piece on cheapness of fashion. Of which I am (surprising even myself) in total agreement.
Right now, we see clothes as disposable. We don’t maintain what we wear. If only people knew how easy it is to do something about that. When we’re just passively consuming it as a disposable good we’ve lost our connection to something that could be so meaningful. And that’s tragic.
I promise I'm not going to start harping on sustainability in clothing, but recently I have just been so tired of all the super cheap clothing at Target, Old Navy, and the cheaply made but overpriced clothing at J.Crew, Anthropologie, and Banana Republic. I don't really know what to do about it, though. It's easy to pay $2 extra on a dozen eggs every week because they are from a farm, and taste amazing. It's harder to buy a handmade blouse for $100, instead of $15. No answers yet, just thinking. (Salon)

Also on Salon: making kids memorize poetry. Didn't we just talk about this?

Perhaps the best and most charming post yet from dear DALS

Polenta v. Cornmeal v. Grits

And there's still lots of strawberry jam, so make your orders today! It makes wonderful wedding gifts, and hostess gifts, and gifts for yourself because it's summertime and you need a treat.

2 comments:

  1. I like the clipping on clothes. That idea of quality clothing has been on my mind this year but I haven't really done anything about it. I don't mind paying extra to my local farmer, but I have a harder time applying that same idea to clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it'd harder because we are used to throwing away clothing, and used to trends. I think one solution is clearly to shop at thrift stores and vintage shops, and learn tricks of tailoring to enable us to remake clothes according to our tastes.

    I think another question would be to consider where I can afford to splurge on something handmade. I rarely have a more than one pair of jeans, and jeans are made to last for several years. So perhaps I can start by buying them made-in-America

    ReplyDelete