May 14, 2012

Recipe: Pistachio + Strawberry Quickbread

Two weeks into my spring jamming and I have already made an expensive mistake--my whole second tray of strawberries got moldy when I wasn't looking.  (I can't watch them forever!)  I was only able to save about a quart of them, so to console myself, I whipped up the quick bread yesterday afternoon.

I am a lazy inexperienced baker, but luckily Carrot was sitting near by, "grading papers." I asked her a million questions. So the fact that this came out I attribute entirely to her telling me that I need more leavening when I use spelt flour, and that the batter was too dry so I needed to add more strawberry puree. Carrot is the best at baking.

STRAWBERRY + PISTACHIO QUICK BREAD
adapted from King Arthur Flour

1/2 cup chopped pistachios
1 1/2 cups sprouted spelt flour (or white whole wheat flour)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (1/8 tsp if your pistachios are salted)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
The zest of one lemon lemon zest
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed strawberries*
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I actually used olive oil)

* If you have a blender or small food processor, puree half the strawberries, and then chop up the rest in bite size pieces. Otherwise, chop all of them, and mash them with the back of a spoon in your bowl. To have a suitably wet batter you might need to add a little water.

Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the pistachios, flour, sugar, soda, salt and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, eggs, strawberries and oil. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, whisking until well-blended.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove it from the pan and transfer it to a rack to cool completely, 1 hour or longer. For best flavor and easiest slicing, wrap the bread while still slightly warm and let it sit overnight.





No comments:

Post a Comment