May 09, 2012

In Season: Rhubarb!

I hunted high and low, visiting every farmer's market in town (exaggerating, I only visited two), and I finally found some rhubarb.  It was $4.75 a pound (not exaggerating), and I spent an hour (exaggerating) searching for good rhubarb recipes, when I should have been cutting 3 lbs of onions (not exaggerating).


BARS: with two of my favorite things: shortbread and curd.
CRUMBLE: with two of my favorite things: ginger and struesel.
LIQUEUR: infusion in alcohol is really best way to preserve summer's bounty.
SYRUP: perhaps a bit more versatile than the liqueur? But surely not as fun.
ROASTED: with whipped cream and meringue--who needs dinner?
OATMEAL: fit for a king!
GALETTE: much easier than pie.
MOJITO: if you only have a stem or two.

In the end, I decided (predictably) to make jam.  This will be a not-for-sale jam. A jam for Mags, if you will. Well, I am sure you don't will it. But I do.

This is, by the way, the very first time I have ever made anything out of rhubarb. Isn't that terrible?  I cannot wait to have a yard so I can grow some. I understand it is hearty and easy to maintain.

Photo: Mine, iPhone using VSCO Cam app.


2 comments:

  1. Rubarb pie is a family favorite at home. Before I cook them I like to let them, ahem, fester in sugar.

    Dad used to grow them and so did my great-grandmother. From what I remember they are pretty chill plants, I remember Dad saything something about them liking costal areas (great-grandma lived near Petaluma). We were in central valley and I think it was too hot for them sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My MIL grew rhubarb in her garden in the Pacific NW. Other then watering and fertilizing it occasionally, she didn't do much and it always did really well. But her rhubarb was never ready until late summer. Sadly we never did much with it in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete