May 17, 2012

Clippings: Ascension Day!

Clippings a day early, my dears. Tomorrow my roommate from college is graduating (with her PhD in psychology! Woot!) and on Saturday she's getting married, so life is full of festivity. I am doing the flowers for the wedding, and I'm going a little nuts, not surprisingly. All day at the office my head is filled with little calculations (20 peonies for two bouquets, can I spare one for the groom? And where can I steal some jasmine from?) instead of office work.


Dani notified me that there is a Literary Map of the US, too. I would just like to know why Robert Frost is in California. The man basically invented New England Poetry--and that was 300 years after the first poets lived in New England. Turns out he was born in SF. How did I not know this? But anyway, it's still stupid. (above, Literary Gift Company)

There are few things we do as well in Washington as making burgers. The Washingtonian is reviewing one burger a day. I will not be reading these posts, lest I eat more burgers than I do already. I swear there is something addictive about those patties and melted cheese.

This is basically the coolest invention to help preserve fruit. (Washington Post)

Last week Mo came over and she and Stearns and I gabbed and had dinner and drank dark-and-stormys she introduced us to the poet Mary Karr, who's name I have heard around but who I've never really read. I am now completely obsessed. Here's Mary Karr on the art of the memoir (The Paris Review)

Frank O'Hara and Edward Gorey are probably the two coolest famous literary roommates: "the pair 'established their rooms as (in the words of a home-town friend) the spot to "lie down on a chaise lounge, get mellow with a few drinks, and listen to Marlene Dietrich records."" (Flavorwire)

Some coverage of the Chuck Colson memorial service at National Cathedral yesterday. (First Things)

Astaire or Kelly? Astaire, all the way. (Wall Street Journal)

Mmmmm. I love Buckwheat. And it is especially good with berries.  (Smitten Kitchen)

The poetry of the beat-up cookie sheet (Food 52)

Betsy is doing her annual (or maybe its every two years) list of the top 100 children's books. Peter Pan is number 86, which is distressingly low. (Fuse #8)

Fr. Augustine Thompson, OP, has a new biography of St. Francis of Assisi, which I am keen to read. (Dominican Daily)

Ronald Reagan writes to his son Michael before Michael's wedding day: "Any man can find a twerp here and there who will go along with cheating, and it doesn't take all that much manhood. It does take quite a man to remain attractive and to be loved by a woman who has heard him snore, seen him unshaven, tended him while he was sick and washed his dirty underwear. Do that and keep her still feeling a warm glow and you will know some very beautiful music." (Letters of Note)


Finally, via Divine or Not...:


No comments:

Post a Comment