May 02, 2012

Books I Did Buy This Weekend (and shops!)

Predictably: all the books I did buy were cookbooks. (See also: Books I Didn't Buy This Weekend)


The Flavor Thesaurus // by Niki Segnit // $18 // Posman Books // This Chelsea Market bookstore is, predictably, filled with awesome cookbooks. I was a little overwhelmed at all the choices, so I picked something safe, which I have been meaning to purchase for quite a while: The Flavor Thesaurus. (Photo)



Canal House Cooking: Markets and Garden // by Christopher Hirsheimer and Melissa Hamilton// $14 // Kitchen Arts & Letters // As you know, if you've read this blog for any time at all, I have some serious life envy of the ladies at Canal House. Their daily lunch blog serves as an incredible inspiration for my day, and as I consider the future, and my business, Canal House is always in the back of my mind. And, since my business is Jam, it won't surprise you that, when confronted with a whole shelf of their books, I picked the one dedicated to farm-markets and gardens.  




Home Cooking // by Laurie Colwin // $10 // Kitchen Arts & Letters // I often veer toward sentimental picks when I am at a new bookstore that I want to patronize. Kitchen Arts & Letters is really an awesome shop, and well worth the trek up to 94th Street. Two rooms, covered floor to ceiling with lovely pine bookcases, keeping the room light and airy, where it could be dark and uninspiring. Unlike Bonnie Slotnick (who owns the best bookshop in New York, specializing in used cookbooks), Kitchen Arts & Letters focuses on mostly in-print, albeit hard to find, cookbooks. (You won't find Rachel Ray or Paula Dean here, though you will find all of Alton Brown's books!) And while I didn't have time to really sit and devour each shelf, I was inspired by their selections, and was happy to pick up the first volume of Laurie Colwin's kitchen essays. (Miss Hale gave me the second volume last year for my birthday!)


 An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace // by Tamar Alder // $15 // Politics and Prose // Inspired by kitchen essayists, like M.F.K. Fisher, Alder approaches the dinner table candidly, with warmth and, yes, grace.



For Cod and Country // by Barton Seaver // $16 // Politics and Prose // Seaver is a DC based chef, and his little fish shack, Tackle Box, is one of my all time favorite DC restaurants.  For Cod and Country has long been on my wishlist, because of its detailed information about the sustainability of different fish types, and it's celebration of American fish. Plus, the photos are divine and the recipes are easy to follow. It will be released in paperback later this month, but you ca still find the hardcover at local bookstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment