March 05, 2012

Reading C. S. Lewis: March Update

As you all know, I'm reading C. S. Lewis throughout the year.  I am afraid I haven't gotten very far.  I am afraid I won't get very far. Flannery O'Connor was right:
This book of C.S. Lewis on prayer is a good one but I don't like to pray any better for reading it. I also just read one of his called Miracles, which is very fine. Deceptively simple. You really need to read every sentence twice. Go among the biblical scholars, says he, as a sheep among wolves.
(from Habit of Being, pg. 572)
I've been re-reading (for the past two months) The Four Loves, and I feel exactly the same way. You sail through it, assenting to every statement, not aware that he is taking you somewhere new, saying something quite bold, and earth shattering. When he comes to the inveitable conclusion, I need to go back and re-read it all once again. Everything he says both resonates deeply, and forces me to change my perspective entirely. 

Interestingly, this is what many people say about their experience reading Till We Have Faces. This was not my experience reading that book, but I am excited to tackle it over Easter break, and see if my deepening understanding of Lewis and of Love will help reveal that book to me.

1 comment:

  1. I am convinced that "Till We Have Faces" is once of the most profoundly Catholic novels ever written. Perhaps not the most thrilling or the most well-structured - but it's brilliant. Somehow (perhaps without realizing it), Lewis managed to write a story that is not only about love and the selfishness that kills love, but also about the nature of true religion and true worship, the eucharistic sense in which love both feeds the soul and consumes it, and the mystical marriage of the soul... It's just chock-full of amazing stuff!

    ReplyDelete