March 12, 2012

Exhortations + Inspirations

Platitudes. The online blogging community is full of them. Pithy one line sayings to help us get through the day. They are powerful in their brevity. And I will be the first time admit that they've gotten me through a rough afternoon. But mostly they fall flat. I don't need to be told to believe in myself. Or to never give up. Or to do what I love and love what I do.  Such things are only a reflection of me. And "me" is clearly not enough.

Enter Ignatius Press, and my friend John, who has designed these lovely, short meditations, based on lines from some of Ignatius' great books (click the image for a link to the books).  They call us to our true vocation: to live in Christ. (The one from Mother Theresa gives me goosebumps every time I read it. How hard it is to remember.)

They're all featured on the Press' Facebook page; you can view the whole album here.(I don't think you have to be a member of FB to see the album...) And I'll bet Ignatius Press would be grateful for suggestions of your favorite short quotes from their books. You can suggest some on their FB page, or by emailing them.






PS. The crucifix in the second photo is Spanish, from the 14th century (I think). It adorned my classroom for a year in college, and now hangs at Ignatius' offices in San Francisco. It is just marvelous.


No comments:

Post a Comment