March 02, 2012

Clippings: You Just May Be the One


+ Every time I look at this painting by Joseph Albers, I see something different. Upon further investigation, he has a whole series of these geometric exercises.  It's called the Structural Constellation series, and in a preliminary search, I couldn't find all that much about them, but, Google them, and you'll see what I'm talking about. I love the contrast and the simplicity...just lines playing tricks on your eyes.

+ I love these Georgetown Survey Maps (The Georgetown Metropolitan)

+ The most perfect wide-brimmed felt hat.

+ I've mentioned before the brilliance of the personal essays featured in The Paris Review. I don't always have time to read them, sadly, but this week's was a little jewel: "The London Library" by Orlando Whitfield--by far the best thing I've read this week.

+ I have never had luck with cooking grapefruit.  Every time I tried to make a grapefruit jam or marmalade, it turned into a bitter mess.  And I won't even bother you with the grapefruit curd I made one Easter that my sister spit out it was so, so bad. But I am going to try again. Perhaps Heidi can help me. (101 Cookbooks)

+ Don't miss Aaron's great Lenten meditations: Discernment of Heroes. It's only week two, so you've got time to catch up. (Guild Review)

+ This is mostly for the single ladies (all the single ladies), but, well, perhaps everyone can use this gentle, lovely reminder Rosetti sent me: How not to waste time.  (Catholic Exchange)

+ Did you see the stunning photos of the Kinfolk Dinner in Brooklyn. (Come to DC! Come to DC!)

+ You must read some of Emma Thompson's diaries during the writing of Sense and Sensibility. They are beyond great:
This was the day a very sodden Greg [Wise, aka Willoughby] bounded up to Alan [Rickman aka Brandon] and asked, with all his usual ebullience, how he was. Long pause as Alan surveyed him through half-closed eyes from beneath a huge golfing umbrella. Then - ‘I’m dry.’ Sometimes Alan reminds me of the owl in Beatrix Potter’s Squirrel Nutkin. If you took too many liberties with him I’m sure he’d have your tail off in a trice. 
Also great is the guest post on Miss Moss where I found them--a look at some of the English manors featured in Austen and Bronte films.

+ Iconatomy by George Chamoun (via I Like Nice Things)

Also, I cannot fail to mention the death of Davy Jones.  Goodness, I love The Monkees. So cheesey, so peppy, so awesome. I remember when I was in jr. high, and the cool older brother of one of my classmates let me borrow The Monkees Greatest Hits. I listened to the album straight through about 50 times. I loved it so much he let me keep it.  Everyone lives "Daydream Believer" but these are my favorite Monkees songs:





No comments:

Post a Comment