March 01, 2012

The Beautiful Cliche: Photos of Venice


I used to say (though I am a photographer) that photography isn't really art.  I've long had this debate in my mind, and it is not terribly well formed (though, I admit the last time I really thought about it I was hiking up a mountain, and couldn't really think straight). It has to do partly with the fact that art is a re-presentation of reality, so that you see through the artists eyes what is really real.  Photography always shows physical reality, and therefore is less art than merely a change in perspective.

At least, that's how the argument went in my head. And frankly, digital photography has not done much to change my mind. But I have, recently, stumbled across some truly phenomenal photographers, and I am starting to rethink my whole attitude towards photography.

Photographer Renato D'Agnostin is one of those. I really know nothing about him, except that I discovered his work through Brian Ferry's Pinterest board (and, frankly, Mr. Ferry is one of the reasons I am rethinking my whole stance on photography as well!).  Renato D'Agnostin has a marvelous, compelling vision, and one I actually want to study.  His photo series "The Beautiful Cliche" attempts (succeeds!) to see Venice in a new way--not through the postcard shots known throughout the world, but through the minor details: a rooftop here, a shadow there. The work is remarkable. This one and this one stopped me dead in my tracks. Please click through to see all the photos.



No comments:

Post a Comment