February 20, 2012

A Day for You



Birthday dinner for Carrot last night. There was wine, the most magnificent cakes, so much laughter that my sides still ache.  Plus, more than once, we burst into song.  Happy Birthday, of course, and Dixie, and For the Beauty of the Earth. Then, Calvin, having just returned from San Francisco where one of his best friends has recently joined the SF Symphony, told us about the performance of Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony he heard. Needless to say, we all had to burst into "If I had words." It is, in some ways, the perfect birthday song.

For the record, Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony is #3 on my list of pieces of music to hear live.  (#1: Rhapsody in Blue; #2 Dvorak's New World Symphony.) In the meantime, I am loosing myself to this 1983 recorded-live performance from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

No comments:

Post a Comment