January 13, 2012

Clippings: Full Moon Edition







This week.  Goodness gracious, I am glad it's over.  A full moon is coming came this week, so that must be why I'm in such a mood. Honestly, all I want today is to curl up on the couch and finish my mystery.  With a cappuccino.  (The one, above, is from Buzz Bakery in Arlington.)

+ This article about the companies who make hosts is one of the most fascinating things I have ever read. (via ALD)

+ Horrible headline notwithstanding, isn't this photo of the Pope being given (given!) a crocodile rather charming?

+ Speaking of the Pope and the Church, I can't believe I forgot to link to William Newton's article in the British web-zine, The Kernel, entitled "Preaching to the Connected"

+ A polaroid a day for 18 years! (check out the anniversary photos every year--3/30)

+ I loved Miss Hale's critique of One Day and the Kindle. Though I still probably won't read it, and I certainly won't read it on a Kindle. Also: Used books for the win!

+ If you haven't seen it yet, you will soon. Every single design/lifestyle blog I read linked to the just released trailer for Wes Anderson's new film Moonrise Kingdom.  I have to say, it looks charming.

+ Did I mention that I think mushrooms are going to be the hot new food trend?

+ This post by Andy at Dinner: a Love Story about reading William Steig in the wee hours of the morning with his daughter Abbey is so fantastic that I jump up and down in my seat just thinking about it.

+ First the New York Times blogs the Civil War.  Now an Oxford history student tweets WWII in real time.

+ The long, long Anglican road to Rome.  (via CWR)

+ Mark your calendars: 12 must see astronomical events in 2012, including: a visible Mercury, Venus traversing the Sun, a partial solar eclipse (visible from CA but not the East Coast), a super-moon, and a super bright Jupiter on Christmas Day.

+ I just love this photo.  And these.

+ Beyonce's birth-suite in Lenox Hill Hospital. I don't even know what to say in the face of such excess. Though I am not sure which bothers me more: Beyonce's entitlement, or the hospital's acquiescence.

+ Let's end on a nicer note than that. Here's a letter from John Steinbeck to his son about falling in love:
You say this is not puppy love. If you feel so deeply—of course it isn’t puppy love. But I don’t think you were asking me what you feel. You know better than anyone. What you wanted me to help you with is what to do about it—and that I can tell you. Glory in it for one thing and be very glad and grateful for it. The object of love is the best and most beautiful. Try to live up to it.

1 comment:

  1. Heehee, my dear, you missed the full moon, I'm afraid. It was a few days ago, and the rising was GLORIOUS on my drive home here in the Shenandoah Valley. :)

    ReplyDelete