January 09, 2012

The Art of Baking Bread



I have been thinking a lot about resolutions, and wether or not I should have any this year.  I'm never very good at resolutions. I cannot think of a single year where I have carried out my resolutions past January. (I am much better at using Lent to reform my bad habits. Which is a bad habit in itself.) The only resolutions I've ever managed to keep are the small ones that are hardly worth mentioning.

Mambo told me last night that she wrote down ten things she wanted to accomplish this year, and that got me thinking. What about making a short list of things I want to have done, but never have, and make it my goal in 2012 to tick some of those things off the list?

Probably #1 on the list would be to bake bread from scratch. I am completely intimidated by this, because I really know nothing. I'm glad Kinfolk and Tiger in a Jar are here to help me out.

8 comments:

  1. I was reading the latest issue of Kinfolk, actually, and wondering whether you had a subscription. It's right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosie4:56 PM

    I highly recommend Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day if you want a really simple introduction to making your own (good!) bread. The basic recipe is so easy, requires even less equipment than they say you do, and is a great starting point for bread baking. Seriously - it couldn't be easier. Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year I list a bunch of things I wanted to do as resolutions. It was the most productive New Year's resolution list ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, am intimidated by making yeast breads. The one thing is that I highly doubt it will looks as PRETTY as it does in that kinfolk video. :P It's rather annoying. Bread is a MESS. I've seen it, attempted it, gotten my hands in it, and made it in my bread machine where it causes minimal mess. Just sayin'. But you, being a jam-maker, are probably not the sort of person to be put off by some messiness . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. no. messiness never bothers me. if you don't get messy while doing it, it's probably not worth doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sigh* such as, my job . . . so true

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart. Don't skip to the recipes, really read the whole first part. It will teach you enough about how bread works to help cure intimidation. And the recipes bake up beautifully.

    ReplyDelete