December 09, 2011

Clippings: I'm hippin' you man.



+ How to be a Retronaught featured some incredible Polish Neon signs from the Cold War Era (above).  Speaking of the Cold War, who's going to see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, tonight?

+ Today is the feast of St. Juan Diego, the man who saw the Virgin of Guadalupe.  I love Juan Diego!  Also, I highly recommend Tomie de Paola's book The Lady of Guadalupe (which just went out of print, but you should be able to find it at good Catholic bookstores and the like).  It tells the whole story and focuses quite profoundly on Juan Diego.

+ Have I mentioned that I love love love A Very She & Him Christmas. It is just perfect. Deschanel has such a charming voice, and M. Ward's blue guitar strikes the perfect balance, making it fun and sweet instead of twee.  WSJ reviews other great Christmas releases. (I have my eye on A Very Gypsy Christmas.) (Also, She & Him Christmas is on sale for $5!)

+ Yale University has uploaded high-resolution images of the Voynich Manuscript--a sixteenth century illuminated manuscript with indecipherable text and gorgeous botanical illustrations.  It is just incredibly beautiful. (Things like this remind me why I love the internets.) Read more about this manuscript on Letters of Note. (Related.)

+ Speaking of Letters of Note: Shaun has started another awesome blog, called Lists of Note. I especially loved baseball player Don Carman's list of canned responses for post-game locker-room interviews. And these translations of jive. This is perhaps my most favorite thing I've ever discovered online.

+ The worlds oldest Christmas pudding was discovered in the back of a cupboard.

+ Procrastinate much?  The Dominicana is a great distraction. The first online edition of this new journal from the Dominican House of Studies is available online now. Subscribe here.

+ My friend Laina, and her band Girl and Piano have a kickstarter project to get their album, The Wayward Ark, released.  Pledge $10 and you get a free digital recording...which is less than what it'd cost on iTunes.

+ Terry Teachout on the development of Television.

+ Speaking of television...Yah, this happened:



Next week: More gift guides, and lots of holiday fun!
Don't forget the POP-UP SHOP.  (As if you could, with all my nagging!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I had no idea there was a new Tinker Tailor coming out! I might actually be interested in seeing a new movie, fancy that. And I bought the cd. What a fresh take on some classics!

    ReplyDelete