November 30, 2011

St. Andrew's Novena

Giusto de' Menabuoi. The Call of Saint Andrew & Saint Peter. 1376. Padua Cathedral Baptistery.

It's time again for the St. Andrew's Novena. We've prayed this together for years, and I hope you'll join me again this year.  There is no single act that prepared me so well for the coming of Christ and the festivities of Christmas than this novena.  I know saying something 15 times seems like a lot.  It is a lot. But soon you find yourself praying it while waiting in line at the post office, or waiting for your online order to come through, or sitting in holiday traffic, and suddenly the most mundane and annoying aspects of the holidays are transformed into moments of grace.  And let's face it, December is a grind: work deadlines, the looming bills of the holidays, anxiety of travel, and knowing that you won't get half the things you want to get done done. We need all the moments of grace we can get.

Say 15 times a day from St. Andrew's Day (30 November) until Christmas

Hail, and blessed be the hour and moment
at which the Son of God was born
of a most pure Virgin Mary
in a stable at midnight
in Bethlehem in the piercing cold.
In that hour vouchsafe, o my God,
to hear my prayers and grant my desires,
Through the same Christ, our Lord.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to try to do it this year, Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pete h1:33 PM

    with you Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Tom Jones7:39 PM

    Thanks for the reminder, Maggie!

    ReplyDelete