November 18, 2011

Clippings: Little Joy



Next week on 10KP: two days of thanksgiving recipes, and then a nice little break as I celebrate Thanksgiving with some of my favorite people in the world.

+ Look! You can be engaged to Prince William, too. (A Cup of Jo)

+ Though, you may have heard, it's too late to marry him.  Speaking of which, the Kate Middleton effect has already begun in wedding dresses. (Vogue)

+ The taste-maker blog Creature Comforts came out with their annual gift guide, and it is awesome. Also, turns out, Ez is the sister of a girl I went to highschool with.  Fun! Small! World!

+ The Thomist who makes wine. (Thomistica)

+ Yesterday my friend Calvin (so nicknamed for his love of the comic) asked me what I was really going to do with my life. Teasingly, he wondered, was I going to flit around from job to job, staying at one place for a couple years, then moving on to something else. "Our parents generation would have been horrified to do that. They found a job, or a career, and they stayed in it. But not us." (Well, certainly not him--he's a lawyer.)  The New York Times puts it in slightly different terms: The Entrepreneurial Generation (via Pourbrew):
The millennial affect is the affect of the salesman. Consider the other side of the equation, the Millennials’ characteristic social form. Here’s what I see around me, in the city and the culture: food carts, 20-somethings selling wallets made from recycled plastic bags, boutique pickle companies, techie start-ups, Kickstarter, urban-farming supply stores and bottled water that wants to save the planet.

Today’s ideal social form is not the commune or the movement or even the individual creator as such; it’s the small business. Every artistic or moral aspiration — music, food, good works, what have you — is expressed in those terms.
+ Continuing my obsession with roasted chicken. (WSJ)

+ Dinner and a Movie: The Thin Man (Food 52)

+ Sarah has some great tips on pushing through to the end of a project and finding motivation.

+ Incredible video of the development of a human child from conception to birth, from a recent TED talk. (via First Things)

+ The Thanksgiving holiday is the perfect time to get started on making your own Advent Calendar.  (Can you believe Advent is coming so soon!)  Also, Simcha Fisher was awesome writing on Advent earlier this week.

Finally: We had our first frost last night, I am told, and all I can think about is a brazillian beach.  Why?  because I have been listening to the short-lived band Little Joy non-stop for the past three days.  A lot of their music is on YouTube including this adorable video which I posted before, but I especially love this live, acoustic recording:

2 comments:

  1. Did you know that David's Bridal sells a near-replica of Kate's' dress? And by near-replica I mean depressing mass-produced synthetic knock off. The Vogue version is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised.

    What interests me about Lauren Bush's dress is that she is a celebrity who chose to wear something both extremely elegant and distinctive, and modest the same way Kate's dress was. It's a welcome change!

    ReplyDelete