November 29, 2011

Catch Up Clippings



By the way, next week I'll do my annual gift guides.  Email me if you have some specific people or groups of people you need to buy for, and I'll try to incorporate some options in them!

I almost did my weekly clippings post last friday after Thanksgiving, but I ended up sleeping late (yay!) and being out in the sunshine all day long.  (This unseasonably warm weather is tripping me out a little bit, but I am determined to enjoy it as long as I can--though it's a bear to dress for!)  Anyway, here is a catch-up clippings post for you all to enjoy.

(Tomorrow: Advent Music Mix! and the St. Andrew's Novena!)

+ Robert Fay in The Millions asks where all the Catholic Writers have gone.  Maud Newton disagrees on some points.

+ Ben Pentreath is a designer in England who's blog I've recently started reading.  Last week he wrote about a simply incredible limited edition book that combines hand-lettered passages from The Book of Common Prayer with drawings of buildings and cities.  Take a look. (Photo, above, from the book, too.) Side note: I love the internets, mostly because we can see something amazing like this--well crafted and beautiful and something we'd never ever see otherwise.

+ Mads sent me this lovely story about a couple making blackberry jam for their wedding:
We picked our blackberries in late summer until we couldn't stand to look at another one. We picked blackberries along the foggy coast, on a hot day along the Inverness Ridge and along a trail in my hometown of Sebastopol. We enlisted anyone who had a free hour — and thick skin. We picked with kids and we picked with adults and we picked just us two, a sweet reminder of the purpose of all of this.
+ Msgr. Pope on the drama of light at Advent and Christmas. (Archdiocese of Washington Blog)

+ Mark Brumley on economic equality in the light of the teachings of the Church. (National Catholic Register)

+ I really want to go to New York to see the Lewis Chessmen at the Cloisters.  WSJ reviews.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous book! ... Though I've no idea what that particular spread is referring to. Any help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assumed it was referring to Mary, but now that I look it up, it is from Charles William's poem Bors to Elayne: on the Kings Coins. Must read the whole poem now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, a very Englishman-like poem.

    ReplyDelete