October 21, 2011

Quick Clippings



Got a big deadline at work and have been spending all my evenings rearranging my bedroom, so I am pooped and this will be brief.  (The picture above, by the way, is my inspiration for my room. It's from Design*Sponge.)

+ Mike reminded me that I needed to buy Fiest's new album, Metals (CD, MP3).  Check out this video of her singing "The Bad in Each Other" live.  The album is fantastic.

+ My favorite underrated fall fruit: persimmons!

+ The Dominican student Brothers here in DC have started an amazing online magazine, Dominicana.  I will post more about it in a couple weeks, but I wanted to point you to this beautiful little meditation by Br. Clement: "Late Nights with Jesus"

+ LIPSTICK!

+ What to do with Star Anise.  (#1: love it.)

+ In 1987, Dutch artist Marinus Boezem planted De Groene Kathedraal - The Green Cathedral - it is the exact layout of Reims Cathedral, planted in trees.  And it is incredible.  Learn more and see lots of pictures here (via PES).

+ Shirt of Flame has a nice piece with lots of quotations on (my favorite) Caryll Houselander.

+ Smokey Robinson discusses the writing of "My Girl" in friday's WSJ.

+ Also, it is the 100th anniversary of the wedding of Princess Zita and Archduke Karl.  Watch a video of the wedding here.  And if you are in DC tonight, there is a special reception at St. Mary's.

1 comment:

  1. I just spent a lovely 15 minutes wandering through Dominicana. Thanks for the recommendation!
    (And in other news, I just opened the peach/ginger jam-- stellar!)

    ReplyDelete