October 20, 2011

Mira Joy's Plum Jam

Mira Joy's Plum Jam

In early September, my friend K lost her daughter Mira Joy just moments after birth. This incredible shock came after a long struggle with infertility, and a healthy, careful pregnancy. K and her family handled the devastation with incredible grace and fortitude.

K is one of those women who tries always to live, deeply and intentionally, an authentic life. She was always one for plans--whether it was her dorm room re-organization and decoration, or making her own wedding dress, to ideas for a budding, home based business. She and J live in a small town in Massachusetts, and they are thoroughly local--buying all their food from the farmer's market, and working in local shops and loving their town through and through.  Her desire for authenticity, though she may not know it, made a strong impression on me, and inspired me in a way to be where I am today.

When I heard their sad news, I was knee-deep in plums. Stirring this pot of glorious plums, I wondered what I could do for K, her husband J, and all their family, and I realized that I had to dedicate this jam to Mira Joy.

All proceeds from the sale of this jam will go to The Northwest Center, a Washington, DC, based maternity home and pregnancy center for low-income mothers, which provides a wide variety of services, including counseling and material assistance, as access to pre-natal care, medical and legal services, educational opportunities, job training and child care.



4 comments:

  1. what a wonderful friend you are and what a magnificent gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful friend you are and what a magnificent gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Margaret, this is such a beautiful gift for our family and most importantly for K & J. Mira Joy has touched all of our hearts and this really brings to light how special she was to so many people. This is absolutely beautiful, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister and brother-in-law are lucky to have people like you in their lives.

    ReplyDelete