October 10, 2011

A Communal Event



“A meal, according to my understanding anyhow, is a communal event, bringing together family members, neighbors, even strangers. At its most ordinary, it involves hospitality, giving, receiving and gratitude.”
– Wendell Berry, Bringing it to the Table


Last week when my parents were in town, I had the extreme pleasure of hosting a dinner for them and some of my dearest friends here in DC. As I was in the kitchen, finishing the pork, I listened to the rise of voices, 12 different people from different parts of my life, discussing everything from Kirkegaard to baseball to raising kids to Monty Python to politics (alas) to the benefits of a thick head on a glass of beer.  I couldn't sort out half the conversations, they were so vibrant and alive and stumbling all over each other. It was, truly, one of the most fantastic moments of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment