October 07, 2011

Clippings

big sky

Clearly one thing needs to be said this morning (since I've been away from my computer and haven't had time to say it before): thank you Steve Jobs, and may he rest in peace.  I don't have anything terribly thoughtful about this event, except to wonder if we've ever seen such an outpouring of emotion in response to the death of a business man.  Sure, he was a bit of a celebrity too, but only because he was so damn good at his job.  For more thoughtful analysis, The Anchoress has a roundup of Steve Jobs related links. In Arlington, a makeshift memorial (plus, they painted their storefront black; have other Apple Stores done this?). I also particularly like this collection of Steve Jobs quotations, including:
When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: “If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.” It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

take courage

Elsewhere on the internets:

+ Myrna sent me a few weeks ago this incredible living recreation of the Van Gogh painting A Wheatfield with Cypresses in Trafalgar Square in London. Click here for a detail shot.  Someone in London, go see this and tell us all about it!

+ The boyfriend of one of my favorite bloggers (Kate Miss of For Me, For You) has just been diagnosed with testicular cancer.  Eschewing an outright call for donations, they have set up an Etsy shop with prints of his and her work to help raise money for the medical bills.  She is willing to make prints of some of her other work, if people are interested. (All the photos in this post are hers.)  Her post about his diagnosis (and the 281 comments it engendered) is one of the reasons why I love the blogging community.

beach filming





+ The photo above is the perfect tie in for this article: Brian Wilson on the never-completed album Smile.  The master tapes are being released by Capital Records in a five disk set.

+ Once a couple months ago, I came across a link for an egg sandwich that just looked amazing and blew my mind.  I sent it to Curry, and said something stupid like: Have you ever thought of putting an egg between two pieces of bread?!?!?! She responded: yum, yes, dear, an egg mac-muffin.  (I honestly do not know what I was thinking, because I eat egg sandwiches all the time.  There must have been something particularly mind-blowing about this sandwich.) Oh, Curry, you were so patient with me when we lived together and now you must endure me via the internet.  But, maybe this will make up for it? Have you ever tried a egg sandwich with a pretzel?  This is a brilliant innovation, I think.

oranges

+ There is this charming, perfect little town outside of Assateague called Berlin.  It was where Runaway Bride was filmed, and, by all accounts is as charming and real as the film makes it out to be.  Plus they have a wicked good soda-shop with awesome milkshakes. But I was dismayed to find out that they have a cupcake shop too.  Is no town safe from the invading cupcake?  Will the tide ever turn?  Perhaps.

+ Is $59 a good price for leather hippo bookends?  I do not know, but I want them.

+ Really interesting, possibly depressing article in the NYTimes about American farm labor.  There is of course a helluva lot more going on that the article can address, but I found it fascinating.

Anything but mellow yellow




1 comment:

  1. Thanks mags. I liked that NY times article.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete