October 14, 2011

Clippings: Just Fifteen Minutes



Guys: what is in the air?  Everyone's tired and stressed and in a bad mood (me most of all), and unable to work and unable to think and...I can't even complete sentences anymore.  I need a nice cup of coffee. (The one above is from Blue Bottle Coffee in the San Francisco Ferry Building.  And it is heavenly.) I need a couple minutes.  Just fifteen minutes, maybe.  Watch people.  Drift into space.  Sit still.  Read.


+ By far the best thing I have read all week is in the newest issue New Yoker: a compelling, detailed account of the meltdown of the nuclear power plant in Fukushima, Japan, after the tsunami hit in March.  It is, unfortunately, only available to subscribers online.  But it is well worth purchasing the issue to read this (and Adam Gopnick's great article on The Phantom Tollbooth, which I mentioned yesterday). You can see photos from the article on their tumblr.

+ Also in The New Yorker (a past issue): Mindy Kaling, of The Office, had a fantastic and funny article about Romantic Comedies.  R, you'll love this.

+ The most beautiful wedding cake I've ever seen.  I am totally decorating a cake like this sometime (though I rarely make cake).

+ The Kitchn has a tour of the kitchen of Judith Jones, the famously persistent editor of Julia Child's The Art of French Cooking, and author of the lovely The Pleasures of Cooking for One, which she wrote after her husband died.  Check it out here.

+ Also on The Kitchn: it's pasta week, and everyday they have been posting five-thousand amazing pasta recipes.  Plus tips on the "passive" method of cooking pasta, which I must try one of these days.  Also, they pointed me to this awesome fig + goat cheese pasta dish which sounds like it would blow my mind!

+ Things from the 50's that should never have gone out of style: full skirts, seltzer bottles, wide-brimmed hats, whiskey dispensers.

+ I have a thing for mottos.  It's a little silly, I know, but sometimes they really get me through the day.  I have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to them (among other things). But my favorites are the ones that are a bit tongue-in-cheek, like these from graffiti artist Steve Powers compiled by Miss Moss.

+ This crazy gif of several looks from the Oscar de la Renta Spring 2012 collection really shows how eerily similar looking models are, no matter what their skin or hair color, they all have the same face.

+ And this is just about the coolest most practical product ever.

+ Finally: everyone is posting this, so I might as well too: Katie Bolick has a long piece in The Atlantic about women, marriage and "coupling" throughout history.  It is interesting, but rather pointless.  She takes a lot of anthropology and  sociology and weaves them together with her own personal narrative of singleness.  But ultimately she fails to make any salient point, and the ending falls flat. It's a personal anecdote of "girl power" disguised in serious and scholarly clothing.

+ Bonus: we'd have less single ladies if we had more men on bikes in suits.

2 comments:

  1. Mindy Kaling is a genius! Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men in suits on bikes?! Mormons... jk :) great clippings as usual!
    rca

    ReplyDelete