September 20, 2011

Redesign the Recipe: Video

Did I blog about the redesign of recipes contest? Forgive me if you've heard this before: A bunch of designers were encouraged to redesign the common structure of a recipe. Their submissions were, to my mind, not very interesting. One of the dangers of the hyper attention to design which is reinforced in our blog/internet culture is that design becomes less about the utility of the object and more about the design. These recipes were visually striking, but I could not cook from most of them.

A better redesign of the recipe, to my mind, are these lovely recipe videos. They aren't quite as precise as Julia Child, but they do show the technique of a thing.  The pretzel one, for example, makes me feel like maybe I actually could do this.  As a terrible baker, I really would not know how precisely to rub the loaf in olive oil, or what rolling it to 1/2" thick really looks like.  And some of them (the Vietnamese Coffee one, for example) are quite precise.

Plus, they look like a lot of fun to produce.  Who wants to make one for Jams by Mags?











PS: Are you on Vimeo?  I am!  Add me, I'd love to see your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment