September 30, 2011

Ginormous Clippings





I know you guys don't generally like the super full clippings posts.  You want me to curate items till I present to you the very cream of the crop.  But, guys, there are just so many good things on these here internets this week. So, please, forgive me:

+ Above: basically the most perfect room ever.  Except I think my throw-pillows would be a bit more colorful.

+ As my Dad said when he sent this to me: "You just don't see sports writing this good anymore." By Jon Paul Morosi for FOX, it is an account of Wednesday's two last games of the AL East, (Orioles v. Red Sox; Rays v. Yankees), which clinched in a dramatic topsy-turvy way the AL East and Wild Card spots. It's a wonderful narrative written in a world where instant replays and ESPN's cut-cut-cut style mainly dominate.

+ I always say that I wish my science class had used the kitchen instead of the lab to teach basic principles of chemistry.  I know I'd understand things better through the kitchen.  Well, apparently some cooking is good for your vocabulary too.

+ Lunchtime + office scanner + "print is not dead" = SCANWICHES the book!

+ If I was awesome and had taken shop class in high school, I might make this sofa made out of old hardwood doors.  Surprisingly elegant/rustic, isn't it?

+ Does anyone have a spare $4 million lying around?  If so, I have just the ticket for you. (I will be your maid, so long as I get to sit on that deck for three hours every morning, noon, and night.)


+ That gorgeous fabric above?  It's from Miu-Miu: gold sequined swallows on 1940's style day dresses. (Swallows are the one exception to my no-birds on clothing rule.  A rule I had firmly in place before this.) But aside fromt he prettiness of the dresses, can we all just take a moment to admit that the tonal sequin work is amazing? This ain't your average Forever-21-machine-made-disco-ball blouse.

+ I love Vanity Fair's annual Best Dressed List.  Yes, wearing a banana printed skirt SHOULD land you on the Best Dressed List.  Also, damn! Justin Timberlake in a three great suits.

+ Mom started a Needlepoint Club.

+ Did you know E. E. Cummings wrote fairy tales?  And they're good.  (I reviewed them way back when on LLB.)  Here's the back story.

+ How to peel a head of garlic in 10 seconds.

+ Basically the best giveaway ever (short of sending me to Cornwall).

And finally, and most importantly: Today is the last day to voice your concerns with HHS of the lack of conscience protection over healthcare mandates to provide contraceptive and sterilization services.  This is a huge, grave issue, and a threat to our first amendment rights--the free practice of religion.  This is not a question of whether the use of use of contraceptives is morally permissible.  This is not a debate about the morality of contraception, rather it is about our rights as American citizens. The issue is that our right of conscience is about to be violated on a large, legal, irrefutable scale. The right of conscience is fundamental to our understanding and protection of human liberty.

It is disappointing to me that the protest has largely been in only Catholic Circles.  As far as I know, no major Christian communities have voiced their concerns over this.  Though our churches may disagree on the morality of the use of contraceptives, that is not the question at hand. What is being violated is our right of conscience, which is a fundamental right upon which all the others are built. When a nation requires its individuals to do something they believe to be unjust or immoral, that nation is no longer free.

For more information, I encourage you to read the following: Pittsburgh Congressional Canidate Keith Rothfus's letter to Kathleen Siebelius; James V. Schall on Legal Persecution; Christopher Haley at First Things; The Heritage Foundation Report.

I encourage you all to write to Kathleen Siebelius and your representatives to urge her to pay attention to our long legal tradition of freedom of religion and conscience protection.  It takes about two minutes. To find out how visit the USCCB.

No comments:

Post a Comment