September 23, 2011

Clippings: Well Spoken Lady


+ Sophie Blackall, who has illustrated some fantastic children's books (1 / 2 / 3), created a series of prints based on the NY Craigslist "Missed Connections" series.  Those marvelous, witty, whimsical, and sometimes sad drawings (like the one above) have been compiled into a book, that I cannot wait to get my hands on (via Atlantic Monthly). This is great because I could never just choose one of the prints.  Now I can have them all! (Though, lets be honest, if I had to choose it would be Polka Dots in the Strand.)

+ Two great music mixes: Design Crush / For Me For You (And don't forget to check out my new mix: Endless Summer)

+ A great trick for keeping whipped cream tasty and fluffy through a party. (Food 52)

+ A gorgeous collection of illustrated versions of Noah's Ark--the only biblical story with more coverage than Christ's birth. (Children's Illustration Blog)

+ H&M Home is launching in the US in Spring 2012! WAHOO!

+ I love this blog post by Alton Brown about food trends.  And I also love that it sounds just like his way of speaking.  Oh, Alton.  I'm going to miss you.

+ Been waiting for this moment for a long time: Moneyball is finally out in theaters.  At least I get to watch some A's baseball here at the close of the season.  From the WSJ review:
Movie moments don't get much better than the staff meetings in which Billy takes on the panel of supposedly wise old executives and scouts who pick players for the A's to hire (every one of them is wittily delineated), or the machine-gun-rapid succession of phone calls in which Billy negotiates with other teams for players he wants to buy. (The calls come too fast to follow in detail, but they're hugely enjoyable all the same.) Or Billy's first encounter with Pete during a negotiating session with the top management of the Cleveland Indians. A relentlessly acute observer, Billy senses that Pete, an extremely junior member of the Indians staff, is playing an almost silent but extremely important role. Confronting him later in a hallway, Billy asks, "Who are you? What happened in that room?"

From top to bottom the casting is inspired. Mr. Pitt couples a star presence—there's a singular there there whenever the A's general manager is in camera range—to a beautifully measured ensemble performance that makes Billy a minimalist ironist, tossing off funny remarks with an abandon that almost conceals his deep anger, pain or self-doubt. "Good meeting," he says brightly after a horrible meeting with his stern-faced field manager, Art Howe (Philip Seymour Hoffman), an implacable foe of anything that smacks of sabermetrics: "Every time we talk I'm reinvigorated by your love of the game."
Check out the trailer here.

+ Any potential suitors of mine who might possibly read this blog: yes, please. (I know, I know, I like seeing real stars too, but goodness, we live in the city.  If you want to take me to real stars, that's grand, and I promise not to show off my knowledge of the constellations.)

+ Two great pieces on favorite authors: Walker Percy in First Things / G. K. Chesterton in The Chronicle of Higher Education


+ Pope Benedict's speech in Germany during his state visit is, quite simply, amazing.  Keep our Pope in your prayers.  This will be a hard trip and indeed, has been difficult already.

No comments:

Post a Comment