August 16, 2011

You Say Tomato, I Say Gimme! Gimme!

Canal House Cooks


I have a confession to make, and you won't be surprised. A day has not passed this summer where I did not have a tomato.  Even in making this confession I feel like I am actually confessing--saying as I do nearly every year: "I have done this thing, like I always do, and won't you forgive me, like you always do."  Luckily God is merciful, and has not placed "eating every tomato that comes in sight" on the list of Very Grave Sins, nor has he carved out a special corner of hell where only tomato lovers sit and are subjected to eating the other vegetable-fruit cross over, the cucumber.

On the other hand: this is getting a little out of control.  Below are ten out of the five hundred million tomato recipes I have bookmarked this summer. (There probably is a place in hell for exaggerators.)  (My father's voice echoes in my mind: I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.)

Try them for me, will you?  I'll be over here, recovering from a lycopene coma.

1) Mint: Individual Tomato Tarts of awesomeness.

2) Smitten Kitchen: Tomato Salad with crushed croutons (this seems, to me, to be totally effortless grace)

3) Jamie Oliver: Tomato and Horseradish Salad

4) Sassy Radish: Slow Roasted Cherry Tomatoes (maybe now I won't eat them like they're candy!)

5) Food 52: Fried Green Tomatoes with Panko and Parmesan (for the impatient)

6) The Kitchn: Grits with Goat Cheese and Tomatoes

7) Not Eating Out in New York: Warm Potato Salad with Tomatoes and Olives

8) Food 52: Cherry Tomato Clafoutis

9) Sprouted Kitchen: Roasted Tomato Soup

10) The Kitchn: Salmorejo Cordobes (a summer gazpacho with kick)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the links for all these recipes! I'm like you: I eat tomatoes by the bushel when they are season--eating them at every meal. These recipes are another example of your hard work to make this such an informative and always interesting site. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete