August 23, 2011

Sixty Year Old Film Inspiration

As you know, I've been rediscovering my film camera, and having an awful lot of fun.  8 years without a camera is an awfully long time, and yet I know my eye has improved and I think, after 8 short months, I've started taking better pictures than ever before.

I've also been obsessively following film photography online.  Sites like The Retronaut collect scans of old film--San Francisco in 1906, Chicago Nightclubs in the 1970s, Egypt in the 1920s, Brooklyn gang, 1959etc. (This is one of my favorite photos I've found on the site, and I just have to share.) And I am hooked.  I could (indeed, I have) spend hours on their site.

I want to start experimenting with different film, too. I am still learning so much, and I can't really imagine mustering the courage to use old cameras and old film, but I am working on it. So this post about an unused roll of 1949 film was a real inspiration to me. Striking and haunting, they were all taken in Paris this year with 60 year old film:






For more of my own film photography: Wonderment, California, November Photos 1 | 2 | 3 | 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment