June 02, 2011

Meatless Meals: Summer Salads

Shaved Asparagus Salad from Food 52


It is hot outside.  Every day the forecasters say the heat will break and it never ever does.  I've slept on the couch (no AC in my room) for the past three days, and I am just through (how will I ever get through this summer, I wonder?)

And I don't want to cook anything, either.  So I've been craving those summer salads that actually count as a meal.  (Usually I like my salads simple and light and almost unadorned: butter lettuce with lemon and olive oil; arugula with goat cheese salt and pepper.  But you cannot make a meal out of something like that.) Here are some recipes that have caught my eye:

+ Avocado and Egg White Salad: butter lettuce and celery balance the heavier but essential egg whites and avocado.

+ Romaine Salad with Spicy Chicken and Warm Chipotle Vinaigrette: Save time on this composed salad by making extra chicken one evening and using the leftovers. The vinaigrette would be delicious with leftover of canned fish, too.

+ Salad with Salmon, New Potatoes, and Black Olives: In this, I'll admit, the salad is just a plate.  This is a hearty dish, but again can be made with leftovers.

+ Shaved Asparagus and Mint Salad: (pictured) The asparagus is uncooked, so this is a hearty, and yet fresh and vibrant.  The mint and parmesan really make it sing.

+ Shrimp, and Avocado Salad: I made this for Miss Hale a few years ago, and utterly forgot about it until now.  Also good with grapefruit, if you are in California and Florida and therefore can still get good grapefruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment