June 22, 2011

Jazz Love: Cole Porter (2)

Hello?  I forgot to share with you one of the very very very best of Cole Porter's songs: I've Got You Under My Skin.  I was listening to DC's jazz radio station when the Dinah Washington version (below) came on.  It is just fantastic--a live version with her smooth, warm voice floating over a pulsating driving beat, and a fantastic trumpet conversation between Maynard Ferguson and Clark Terry.  It's really marvelous stuff.

I found myself wondering what Porter would have thought of it.  So often when you listen to the original recordings from the 30s, they feel less than brilliant.  Jazz has come so far since then.  But Porter was really ahead of his time with this piece especially  It's wildness is just tame enough for his middle class audiences.  But the piece is actually quite wild.



(here is a ballroom dance featuring this tune)


(and here is the incomparable Dinah Washington)

No comments:

Post a Comment