June 17, 2011

Clippings: Grateful

GUYS!  Thank you so much for all your comments and emails yesterday.  They really gave me so much encouragement and strength.  I may have given up a really big thing for the jams, but its those little daily struggles that still get me: do I make jam tonight, or sit on the couch watching movies? Do I buy this doughnut or save my money for an extra pint of cherries?  I'm going to keep some of your comments in my wallet so that I remember always what I'm working for.  Thank you so so so so so much!

Lots of randomness today, but if you only click on one link--click on this first one:

+ This is amazing and actually one of the most beautiful things I have heard all week: postal workers whistling while canceling stamps in Ghana. (via Letters of Note)

+ Possibly the greatest mug ever.

+ An even easier strawberry ice cream than my version, and now that Myrna got a blender, I can make it.  Woohoo!
 

+ I forgot how much I adore stuffed shells till I saw this picture from 101 Cookbooks.  Never made them from scratch, and they aren't really a summer dish, but I am going to make them at the earliest opportunity.

+ Gorgeous french country town and tons and tons of salt? File this under "I want to go to there" (WSJ)

+ Peter Lawler on NASA and Philosophy and Tom Wolfe and so many other good things.

+ The Fug Girls play-by-play of Country Strong is hilarious (crude at times, too, fyi). I would just like to note, she said (in In Style) this was her best acting job ever.  Ever.



+ Illustrations of Little Red Riding Hood from around the world.  (Animalarium)

+ Also from Letters of Note: a (possibly fake) letter from the 1898 Commission on Baseball to the players about their use of foul language...which was so foul that they could not have it delivered by regular mail, so it was hand delivered.  The debate about it authenticity is fascinating (it is certainly from 1898, but is it actually from the Commission, or was it a scam the players made as a joke), but it struck both how worse we've become about language and how much better.  I rarely see players swear on the field anymore--and when they do a fight usually starts and they get thrown out--but the bad language described in the article is not as bad as a lot of what I hear on the metro every day.

+ More seriously: a very sad story about a falsely accused priest who "died of a broken heart"--we will be suffering from the wounds of this sexual abuse crisis in countless ways for many years to come, but this is one of the saddest things I have read yet.

+ flowers for Father's Day?  YES YES YES.

+ Finally: this is one of the most gorgeous cakes that I've ever seen in my entire life. The Stella Cake.  Will someone make it for me?  Pretty please?

No comments:

Post a Comment