May 26, 2011

What to do with your Jams? A New Recipe Series

Jam Filled Tarts from Honey + Jam

I realize as a jam-maker, I am so intimately connected to the jams I make that I am always creating new ways to use them.  But, when I mention that I make savory jams like chutneys and onion jam, someone will inevitably ask me: what do you do with it?  Hence, this post was born.  Today I am sharing a number of sweet and savory uses for lots of different kinds of jams.  I'll do this sporadically, so that when I finally get around to launching my new Jams by Mags site there will be lots of recipes to archive there. In the meantime, here's a pretty eclectic grouping:

SWEET:

+ Buttermilk Muffins Filled with Rhubarb Jam from What Julia Ate: This would be equally good with a tart lemon jam or another marmalade.  To my mind it wouldn't work as well with a super sweet jam, but the nice thing about all these recipes is that you really can use whatever you like.

+ Quick Jam Filled Tarts from Honey + Jam: If I had my life together I'd probably always have a batch of pie crust in the fridge, so I could whip out something charming like these tarts (shown above) at a moment's notice. (For the record, I do not have my life together.)

+ Cashew Meringues Sandwiches with Cherry Filling from The Kitchn:  Clearly, it is nothing new to put jam in between two cookies.  But I thought I'd share this recipe especially because it is such a lovely balance of flavors.  Cashews are not my favorite, but they shine here. The nuttiness complements the tang of the cherries especially.

+ Austrian Raspberry Shortbread from Smitten Kitchen: Stearns made this once, and it was divine.  You don't have to make such an involved recipe though, if you aren't a master baker like Stearns.  I usually just spread some heated jam (to thin it a bit) over the top of shortbread, and then scatter on the struesel and then bake. Would be good with any smooth jam, but might be a bit difficult with a chunky marmalade.

SAVORY:

+ Onion Jam Grilled Cheese: There are millions of recipes out there for this, though to me it seems totally intuitive: spread your favorite bread (I like Jewish Rye for this) with onion jam.  Layer on cheese. Grill.  If you need more help, I recommend checking out Food in Jars.  (In fact, Marissa has a whole series of posts on what to do with jams.)

+ Chutney Sandwich:  This is a similar to the onion grilled cheese, but more portable. It is one of the top selling sandwich in the UK, in fact.  Take your best chutney, and spread it liberally over a hearty, pesant bread.  Add big hunks of super sharp cheddar, or funky farmhouse cheddar.  Cover with young bitter greens, like watercress or arugula, and another slab of bread.  This benefits from sitting out for a while, so the flavors meld, making it perfect for your lunch.  (Bring the greens in a separate bag, and add them before eating.)

+ Jam glazed meats: My two favorite recipes for jam-glazed meats are Monte's Ham and Apricot Glazed Chicken.  But I recently discovered a handy all-purpose jam glaze recipe which is adaptable according to what meats you want to glaze.  (Eg. pork with apple or peach, Duck with plum or cherry, Chicken with tomato or apricot, etc.)

And, yes, all the savory jams go well on burgers, falafel, or grilled chicken.  Really really well.

More to come--the next collection of recipes will be my own. Are you excited?  Mmmhmmm.

Mmm.  this is my Onion Jam.  Truthfully, I eat it right out of the jar with 
a spoon.  Sometimes I find a decent cracker and some cheese.  But usually 
I just eat it out of the jar.  It is the best ever! Photo by Kim Maxwell Vu.
  
PS. I ought to have a name for this series, don't you think? Dad would say "Jam Sessions." Thoughts? Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment