May 25, 2011

Quotable: Colossians

I had the great honor to read this passage at J's wedding this Saturday.  It is not one of my "favorite" wedding readings--had it been Romans, I almost certainly would have cried--but as I read it over and over and over practicing, it struck me as so powerfully apt for a wedding day.  This is clearly the MO for married life, but also for anyone's daily life, for it is the command of charity.  It's been running round my brain every since, so I thought I'd share.


Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved,
heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience,
bearing with one another and forgiving one another,
if one has a grievance against another;
as the Lord has forgiven you, so must you also do.
And over all these put on love,
that is, the bond of perfection.

And let the peace of Christ control your hearts,
the peace into which you were also called in one body.
And be thankful.

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly,
as in all wisdom you teach and admonish one another,
singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs
with gratitude in your hearts to God.
And whatever you do, in word or in deed,
do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through him.

--Colossians, 3:12-17

No comments:

Post a Comment