May 20, 2011

Lots and Lots of Clippings


Lots and lots of links today, some from last week which never got posted.

+ There was a point in my life where I thought I could be an excellent seamstress. I was going to make all my clothes, and make sheets, and make slipcovers, and most of all, I was going to make a red and white quit. I did make a few skirts. (My typical vice, lack of follow-through, stopped me.  I never fully completed a single skirt. The one I got closest to finishing was a beautiful deep blue navy wool skirt with a hidden zipper--but I had to clasp it with a safety-pin because I never got around to putting in the hook and eye.) One thing I know: I will never make quilts. But, my goodness gracious, how happy was I to see this amazing display of 651 red and white quilts! Stunning! (Above)

+ If I were in England I would buy hundreds of these Morris &Co. stamps and use them for the rest of my life (via Design*Sponge).

+ You know I love me a good gallery wall.  Like all of these.

+ Just a quick little vent, if you'll allow me. I am a big fan of making things yourself, of homemade jams, of using as few appliances for as many different tasks as possible (and I only have three appliances as it is: an ancient cuisinart, a toaster and an ice cream maker). But this recent note about using a skillet to toast bread is just a little ridiculous to me. I love this blog, and I love Sally Schneider's cookbooks, and I love the thought of improvising, but the whole point of a toaster is that it does its one job perfectly, so that you can do other terribly important things: flip the eggs, slice the avocados, and pour your coffee. It might be a uni-tasker, but its a mighty fine one at that.

+ Speaking of bread, I love love loved Anne's description of making brioche this Holy Saturday. I wonder if I could make it by hand kneading? I don't have the kitchen aid you know. It takes away precious counterspace from my Toaster.

+ An 18 foot great white shark was caught off the coast of Mexico's Guadalupe Island. 18 feet! Even though there's a photo, I really cannot imagine a fish that large! 18 feet!

+ I want to take pictures like this. Always. The light! The food! The joy!

+ The bidding for Bernie Madoff's wine collection began yesterday.  This article describing it fascinates me on so many levels, and I am not sure I can explain why.  On the one hand it can be interesting to peek into a fine collection of wine (like looking at a man's library), on the other this doesn't seem to be all that fine a collection.  One the one hand, this is only commanding high prices because of the celebrity element.  On the other hand, the proceeds of the sale will go to those who suffered at the hand of Madoff. Interesting.

+ Great article about the role of design in the future of newspapers, which highlights the new WSJ.  (If my Google Reader is any judge, I ought to resubscribe to the WSJ, because if I don't, I'll never read all the articles I bookmark.):
You don't need to love Rupert Murdoch to admire what he's done with the WSJ. Sir Harold Evans, the white knight of the Sunday Times, has joined that fan club. The Journal (circulation revenue growing 17 straight quarters in a row, digital subscriptions up as well, by nearly 22% in a year to over half a million) has boosted its weekend edition with two new sections, added a controversial Greater New York news section, and produced the WSJ magazine more often. In short, it hasn't stood still.

The layout is crisp and notably shorter on "turns" of stories from page to page. On royal wedding morning plus one, it ran a well-focused picture across three-quarters of the front. It projects and bounces with confidence. It feels like a paper on the move.

+ If you haven't seen it already, please do check out Christopher Hitchens' article about loosing his voice. It is a lovely meditation on writing and the senses and, really, vocation. (via The Anchoress, who has lots of followup notes.)

+ For the DC residents, or frequent visitors, please read this article by my friend Joshua Bowman on the proposed DC Art's Tax, and sign the petition against the tax. DC is on the verge of becoming a great cultural city, with top tier theater companies and paying museums that are as good as the free ones. But this tax would stymie the growth we've seen over the past 10-15 years. Help support the DC arts by opposing this tax.

+ Also for DC residents and arts lovers: here's a round up of some classical music concerts in the area in the coming weeks.  Note the Mahler concert at the NGA this Sunday (which I am hoping to attend) and the Dvorak and Janacek concert at the Czech Embassy, which, sadly, I must miss.

Finally: Happy Birthday King James Bible (via First Things):





No comments:

Post a Comment