April 04, 2011

Current California Artists

Pasadena Orange Harvest by Dennis Ziemienski
    
Though a native Californian, and a lover of the fine arts, especially painting, I have only recently discovered the incredible wealth of artists from the Golden State.  Later this week I will profile a few past artists of my home state, but today I want to point you towards some of the riches available now, as part of the California Art Club's 100th Anniversary Gold Medal Juried Auction.

These speak to me, of course, because they are familiar: dusty stone and sharp shadows and deep nights and vibrant springs, and hard work.  I love the realism, and yet these paintings are filled with expression that feels fresh and new and full of life.  Someday I'll be able to afford one of these.  (They are currently at auction.)

If you're in Southern California, you can view these works and many others at the Pasadena Museum of California Art through April 24th. Go, and tell me how they are in person!  (HT: Underpaintings)

Padre en El Oratorio by Ernesto Neimesio
 
The Shore Below by Richard Humphrey
 
Welcome to the Family by Taylor Montague

Bishop Peak Spring by Robin Purcell

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:40 PM

    I highly recommend, the next time you are back in the Golden State, to make a visit to the Oakland Museum of California and the Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento. The Oakland Museum has completely renovated their art and history floors (natural history is underway), and the Crocker has just finished a major expansion that about triples their exhibit space. They both have great examples of this (and other) sorts of California paintings.

    In the meantime, check out Nancy Boas's book on the Society of Six.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anon! Golly, I haven't been to either of those museums in years. I have been coveting the Society of Six book for ages.

    ReplyDelete