April 15, 2011

Clippings

Vogue's updated style handbook by Edith Head.
Yes please, oh little red dress.

Lots of randomness today:

+ This is, to me, the perfect clutch. But I think it'd be a pretty easy DIY, either in fabric or leather.  I even have neon green linen I bought way back in the day at the discount fabric store on Clement Street (SF readers, seriously, GO THERE.)

+ Like I said: I like sandwiches. I've never been a fan of Sandwich cookbooks though. they seemed so pointless.  Everyone knows how to make a sandwich, right? But, actually, some people don't get the delicate balance between condiments, veggies, and meats.   This one tries to address that. Related.

+ Reason #457 I want to move to England: fish pies. Also, beautiful container gardens.

+ The Newseum has just acquired, and will put on display May 2, handwritten newspapers from last month's Japanese earthquake.  This blurb is short, but fascinating, as, I am sure, will be the exhibit. (via RCA)

+ Bill McClay is one of my favorites, and I haven't heard from him in a while.  Here's an awesome post on our relationship with the places (cities, specifically) where we live (From the new journal Anamnesis via First Things):
It may mean that in our zeal to speak of final things we have forgotten first things—and one of the first things to know about Christianity is that it is an incarnational faith which celebrates the goodness of the created order, in which God became man, in which the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, in which the promised vision of the end of time is not a world of disembodied spirits, but of the flesh, resurrected and perfected. If you fully take in that thought, you will soon realize that, whatever else it may be, the physical world cannot be thought of as a mere moral obstacle course that we run on the way to eternity.

Even without such religious assumptions in our minds, we should be able to see that there are, as we say these days, feedback effects of our physical environments, ways in which the rooms and corridors and buildings and streets and landscapes and skyscapes through which we move have their effects upon us, and end up influencing us, often in very profound ways. Hence the choices we make about the places where we choose to situate ourselves—keeping always in mind that there are many things that we cannot choose about our lives—are of great moment.

+ I left work yesterday and went downtown to the Hirshorn sculpture garden--which I have never visited!!!--and drank coffee and looked at the Rodins. When I was younger, I found Rodin so exhilarating, but now I find him rather perverse. I have to develop this thought more, and probably shouldn't just leave it out there for the world to see without a better grasp, but... Also on my thinking-about-art list: must research the Chelsea Arts Club, founded by Whistler.

+ Total nerd alert: My friend Aaron's piece on favorite British Regiments is just awesome. (Though none of them have Cary Grant, so...)

+ I'm with Bad Catholic on this one; this is the best of these confession commercials yet.

+ I have no concept really of how much $100,000,000 is, but this post makes a lot of sense: To Understand the US Budget Divide by $100,000,000.

+ First video-blog of the filming of The Hobbit.  (With 19,856 "likes" on facebook.) YES! (Also interesting that he chose Facebook to promulgate this, as opposed to a blog, or YouTube, or something.)

+ Good news on the world-fish-supply front.  Also, man with the name Boris Worm was really born to be a scientist, don't you think?

+ These posters are hilarious (below).  I wish they were cards.  I would buy a box and use them for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment