March 21, 2011

Two Serious Clips

Oh my, this week is going to be crazy.  Our big gala is Saturday, and there is so much work still to do! (It's going to be great!  You still have time to buy tickets!) I'll probably post here daily, if only to give me a little break, but don't expect all that much.  Still, I wanted to share with you a few serious things I've been thinking about and coming across the last couple of days.  They are very much in my prayers as I tackle the daily to do list (which really is 3 pages long).

Last friday I was lucky enough to go to a presentation about Youth Defense, the largest and most successful pro-life organization in Ireland.  What has Ireland to do with us? Well, it is the largest of the few countries in the world where Abortion is illegal. And yet these young men and women are fighting harder and stronger and more passionately--and with more wisdom and prudence than any group I've seen here in America.  I was blown away by their presentation, their courage, their insight.  I need to develop these thoughts further, but wanted to share with you this short advert they created.  Honestly, it says everything we need to say.  (Also, they were St. Patrick's Day guests on Life on the Rock, and you can watch the whole episode here.)




  
  


I was lucky enough to spend yesterday evening with these women. They are so single-minded and hopeful and joyful and committed. And they understand that Ireland is the "Jewel in the crown of the world-wide pro-life movement"--if Ireland holds, we have so much hope. But they need prayers and they need support, and I encourage you to learn more about them and do what you can for them.

I also wanted to share with you this powerful airport encounter that Archbishop of New York Timothy Dolan blogged about this week:
It was only the third time it had happened to me in my nearly thirty-five happy years as a priest, all three times over the last nine-and-a-half years.

Other priests tell me it has happened to them a lot more.

Three is enough. Each time has left me so shaken I was near nausea.

It happened last Friday . . .

I had just arrived at the Denver Airport, there to speak at their popular annual “Living Our Catholic Faith” conference.

As I was waiting with the others for the electronic train to take me to the terminal, a man, maybe in his mid-forties, waiting as well, came closer to me.

“Are you a Catholic priest?” he kindly asked.

“Sure am. Nice to meet you,” says I, as I offered my hand.

He ignored it. “I was raised a Catholic,” he replied, almost always a hint of a cut to come, but I was not prepared for the razor sharpness of the stiletto, as he went on, “and now, as a father of two boys, I can’t look at you or any other priest without thinking of a sexual abuser.”
Read the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment