March 14, 2011

Quotable: In This House of Brede (2)

"I don't like to see these," Brother John had said, tapping the grille of the parlour.  "I look forward to the day when the bars will come down and you can mingle freely with your guests--perhaps even wear lay clothes as they do."

"Just as we did a hundred years ago," said the young councillor Dame Catherine Ismay.

That took him aback.

"Didn't you know?" asked Dame Beatrice, sweetly. "When we first came to Brede that was how we had to live.  We could not wear our habits, and were not allowed enclosure until 1880.  We had to fight to get our grilles."

--In this House of Brede, by Rumer Godden.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see that you're enjoying the book. And that was one of my favorite "so there" moments in the book. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah! I love it! I could not put it down all week, and almost pulled an all-nighter trying to finish it. Luckily, common sense prevailed and I managed to finish it on my leisurely Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it just gets better with rereading! The book that keeps on giving. In fact, we were discussing The Story of a Soul last night and when one person (who hadn't read the book) said that she thought Therese probably was stifled by living "protected" in a convent, we all pointed out that anyone who has read In This House of Brede would never believe that. And she folded faster than Superman on laundry day ... promising to read BOTH books. :-)

    ReplyDelete