March 24, 2011

Meatless Meals: Cumin & Coriander Cod with Roasted Squash

Photo by WondrousPilgrim

This is going to be one of those non-recipe recipes.  Sorry about that.

My mom used to complain that fish was difficult to make.  When I got to college, I would buy huge bags of frozen fish fillets and rub them with various things--fresh herbs and olive oil, or dry rubs, or white wine--and roast them or sauté them till they were opaque.  It seemed perfectly simple to me.  I never understood why mom had complained.

On the other hand, I have no real tips for how to sauté fish.  Instead let me tell you about the rub.  The rub was made of cumin, a touch of ginger, and paprika for color, plus salt and chili pepper.  Be sure to taste the dry rub before you rub it all over the fish to make sure there is a good balance of flavors.  I wanted the cumin most prominent.  We used Orange Roughy, but any white fish would do.  Don't put too much oil in the pan and don't fry it too hot (you could also broil or roast this fish).  If you cover the pan with a lid, then you can cook a thin piece of fish without even flipping it, which is ideal for a dry rub like this. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro or parsley and some lemon juice when plated.

The squash was just roasted with olive oil, because I was running late, but I had planned to make this Chili and Garlic Roasted Squash with Lime and Coriander--those flavors would have suited the cumin rub perfectly.

Photo by WondrousPilgrim

PS: Remember, tomorrow is the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception Annunciation (ah!  so tired!), so the Friday abstinence is lifted!

2 comments:

  1. MMM!! I love new ways to do cod--it's so inexpensive but it definitely needs a flavor boost :) and I love squash!

    (isn't it the solemnity of the Annunciation? Immaculate Conception is December 8, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah! IC is on my mind since it's the name of our school...i've been typing it all morning. thanks!

    ReplyDelete