March 15, 2011

The Best of Catholic Media

Chi-Rho by Daniel Mitsui

Today, my friends, is Catholic Media Promotion Day.  It is the brainchild of Greg Willits:
On March 15, 2011, everyone with a blog, podcast, or Facebook page should list their favorite 3 blogs, 3 podcasts, 3 other media, 3 random Catholic things online, and their own projects.
I think it was much better promoted last year, but anyway, I thought I'd join in this year--you know how I like making lists!

Three Catholic Blogs:
+ Of the usual suspects, my daily reads are First Thoughts, American Papist, and, Inside Catholic. I know I need to get into The Catholic Thing, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I also love Ignatius Insight Scoop, but wish they'd add some new blogging voices. And, of course, Happy Catholic.

+ It doesn't get enough attention, so I am going to promote it here: The Catholic Illustrators Guild has been around for years, but does anyone know about it? Featuring the religious and non-religious work of men and women illustrators, including Matt Alderman, Ben Hatke, John Herried, and Theodore Schluenderfritz, and Daniel Mitsui, who's Chi-Rho is above, as well as many new illustrators, less well known and still honing their skills. It's great fun. Promote Catholic art! Read the Catholic Illustrator's Guild!

+ The Archdiocese of Washington's blog is truly excellent. Thoughtful and challenging spiritual meditations, a call to action for all Catholics, not just those in DC. (It's only fault as far as I can tell is the very very cheesy photos the Monsignor sometimes uses.)

Three Catholic Podcasts:
Hmmmm. I don't listen to podcasts, really, but here are a few I've enjoyed when I have had the chance to listen:
+ Catholic in a Small Town. The Courtier turned me on to them, and I've enjoyed the few podcasts I've had time to listen to very much. Their candor, their enthusiasm, and their obvious respect for each other, and joy to be with each other, is quite contagious.

+ I basically love anything Julie Davis does (she has a book coming out, too! yay!), but I have really really enjoyed the few A Good Story is Hard to Find podcasts that I've come across. She also has her Forgotten Classics Podcast.

+ Saintcast which is now run by SQPN media.
From The Bible for Little Ones by Maite Roche

Three Other Catholic Media:
+ The new children's book line at Ignatius Press (above) which I have reviewed copiously on LLB. If I were an illustrator, or a writer, or a literary agent, I would spend all my talents and energy trying to get more excellent children's books published about the Faith. I'm glad Ignatius has stepped up to the plate on this one, and can't wait to see what else they will publish in the coming months, but I'd also love to see some homegrown talent take up this challenge.

+ This is technically a blog, but I wanted to include it here because it is so much more than a blog. I just love my friend William Newton's travel blog, Catholic Barcelona. He describes it as a resource for English speaking visitors to his beloved Barcelona: "The hope is that it will serve as a resource for those who live in or visit the city of Barcelona and wish to learn more about its nearly 2,000 years of Catholic history." Well, it's also a travelogue for all those who have not yet been able to visit that fascinating, ancient town. I love his profiles of each church, the photos, the history, the frank discussion of the devastation wrought by the Civil War--and yet, the hope because Catholics in Spain have seen a lot of devastation before, and strove onward. It's an inspiration and a treasure, and I am so glad that Mr. Newton is continuing to build this collection. (And, ps. were there any churches in America completed in 1955 as stunning as Mare de Deu dels Angels, shown below? I think not.)

+ The Vatican's YouTube Channel.  It's basically the best ever.

Mare de Deu Dels Angels in Barcelona


Three Random Catholic Things Online:
+ The photography of Br. Lawrence Lew, OP.  Br. Lawrence (who will be ordained a priest this Spring, I think) has an amazing eye, access to some of the most beautiful architecture in the world (Oxford, Rome, London, etc. etc.), and a keen wit.  His photographs capture moments, prayers, the profound, the sublime, the beautiful, the good.  With the long tradition of cultivating to the Sacred Arts in the Order of Preachers (thanks, Fra Angelico!), Br. Lawrence is the first I've seen to master the art of photography.

+ The Patron Saint Index.  Ever since I've had a personal computer, I've had this site bookmarked.  Ever wonder who the patron saint of cloth dyers is?  Or of Iran?  Or where St. Patrick was really from?

+ Universalis and the daily Mass Readings.  They make it so easy, we just don't have an excuse!

My own projects:
My my my, I'm a busy girl: my oldest (and, shhhhhh! favorite) blog is, of course, Ten Thousand Places. It is a daily chronicle of many things I love: the Faith, books & literature, food, food, food, art, random and wonderful news, style and design, food.  Then there's the weekly children book reviews on Little Lamb Books (plus ample archives, so go check it out all ye who need to buy picture books!).  I started LLB when all my friends were getting married and despaired at the sight of the selection of picture books at the big-box-bookshop.  And for the last two years I've been contributing to The Magdalene Sisters, with two girl friends, about the life of a single, Catholic, modern woman.  And then there's Jams by Mags, which is catholic in the sense that there is no greater blessing than sharing a meal with your friends, which Christ himself taught us, and, basically, jam makes every meal better. Was there jam at the Last Supper?  I can't say.  Will there be jam in heaven?  Yes, if I have anything to say about it, but of course, I don't.

(Now seems a fitting time to announce that I will have a shop release with some marmalades, savory jams, and mint jelly for your Easter lamb, on April 1st!  No fooling!)



What are you favorites?  Do tell, and be sure to post your link here.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love you. Thanks for this...you may not have a say of what's in heaven, but given that it will be a wedding feast, I think God will probably allow jam...and who knows...maybe you'll be in charge of making it :-) Who is the patron saint of jam makers? I'll start praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you oh so much! You are way too generous and I had to laugh because I saw your kind comments when I was coming over to get your url so you could go on my list! It's a mutual admiration society ... again. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up French Canadian in Montréal, Québec. Nursed in many places, now retired in Toronto, Ontario.

    I love the variety of your posts, and your generous sharing of so many other enriching blogs. Merci de tout coeur.

    ReplyDelete