February 14, 2011

Clippings: food, food, food!

Ah! I was sick the second half of last week, and I slept...a lot. And eat only toast and jam. Today was the first day I actually ate--Myrna made tacos!--and it felt so good to eat. So, here are lots of food links from the past week that I am posting simply because I CAN EAT AGAIN!

+Bon Appetit gives us the low-down on olives. Did you know an olive tree can produce for up to 1000 years?

+ One of my favorite cookbooks of recent years, The Improvisational Cook is now updated and reprinted in paperback. Check out author Sally Schneider's blog for more info.

+ Everyday lunch time rolls around, and I check my RSS feed, and see the "food truck tracker" and kick myself for not working downtown. The rest of the nation has noticed that DC is a great food-truck-town. In fact, the Fojol Bros. made a top-twenty list for the nation.

+ Also from Eater: an Oyster Doomsday Map. Oysters are, reportedly, functionally extinct. I don't really see how this is possible when you can still get them nearly everywhere for a decent price, but, whatever. By the way: Myrna and I are getting oysters in our CSA next week. Any recipe recommendations? They will be shucked already, so not fresh enough to slurp.

+ Julie has a review of The Art of Eating In on Meanwhile, Back in the Kitchen.  (I wish she would blog from the kitchen more often.  I love it when she does!)  I was glad to read it, because I've been planning on buying the book, since author Cathy Erway's blog Not Eating Out in New York is one of my favorites. I think I'll get it from the library now.

Also, a must read: "For we judge between the plate that is unclean and the plate that is clean, saying first, if the plate is clean, then you shall have dessert" --Ian Frazier, Laws Concerning Food and Drink; Household Principles; Lamentations of the Father

1 comment:

  1. I do keep meaning to blog from the kitchen more. Thanks to your encouragement, I actually may do more than "mean to!" :-)

    ReplyDelete